Lightweighting has become important also for the HOD sector of the beverage market, that is for large containers for dispensers. To reduce the weight of container’s body is easy but this implies a reduction in its technical performance and may not comply with the required specifics. Our target was to develop a new 55mm neck finish that would accept a snap-cap so that existing lines with this type of capper could benefit and would not require any significant modification. This new neck finish would be obviously lighter than those presently in use allowing for a significant reduction in weight without implications on the performance of the container.
Development & challenges
Reviewing the existing 55mm neck finishes, the following challenges for the development of this new one were faced:
- Must be a neck finish for snap-cap so that it could be used on existing lines;
- Must guarantee anti-tampering;
- Significant reduction in weight considering all the neck finish length necessary for the dispenser;
- Development of a new snap-cap therefore establish a collaboration with a cap producing company,
- in this case Bericap;
- Allows for a better distribution of material under support ring.
Results & Packaging Features
The collaboration with Bericap permitted the development of a new 55mm neck finish and a light snap-cap closure.
Comparison of existing 55mm neck finish (on the left) with new 55mm neck finish (on the right)
SIPA's products include a wide range of solutions for the manufacture of preforms and containers,
filling, process and secondary packaging, able to satisfy all the needs of the mineral water
market in terms of bottle shapes, products and productivity.